Sunday, September 12, 2004

sunday morning

I fulfilled my social expectations yesterday to the best of my abilities, going to two different parties that a few of my fellow 1L's had recommended to me. I'm still not a natural party-goer; when around more than a certain number of people, usually about 8, I instinctively gravitate towards the outside of the room and become quieter. At the beginning I wander around and meet people, but I get tired of that. Then I find people I know and talk to them. Occasionally, though, I get stuck in the middle of a crowded group of people, not talking to anyone, just feeling like a sardine in a can, and I ask myself, why am I here?

I think I got myself a "gold star" in Civil Procedure on Friday. We were talking about whether or not a welfare recipient could use the right to life as a reason to apply the Due Process clause to the removal of welfare, and I said that it's like being at a busy intersection. Without a crosswalk, you run the risk of losing your life; but it's not rational to say the government has an obligation to build a crosswalk in order to protect your constitutional right to life. Evidently my professor liked it, because he answered a few students' questions by saying things like 'The government is not the traffic'. I was mostly happy because the analogy was successful enough to move the thread of classroom conversation forward (which doesn't happen often enough for my short attention span). But now the prof may remember me and call on me more often. Which means I need to keep going to his class. Oh, well.

More pictures from my apartment:

Angle 1 of primary portion of living room:


Angle 2:


Dining area portion of living room (and the boxes we've been too lazy to throw out):


The other part of the living room that we haven't figured out how to use yet:


A view of the Yale med school/New Haven hospital from my balcony:


A view of the Long Island Sound from my balcony:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home