Monday, September 06, 2004

avoiding reading for contracts

To put off yet again the reading I need to do for my contracts class (which, in all fairness, I can easily do tomorrow), I thought I'd comment about the assignments I've already "completed". I say "completed" because while I've read through it all and made a bunch of margin notes, my comprehension and retention of some of it is questionable, and I may take some additional time tomorrow to review and summarize what I read.

I had a ton of reading to do for my civil procedure class. It started with 50-some pages of overview material, on all the different actions that are permitted within the course of a civil lawsuit, and a lot of similar material on criminal suits, and comparing and contrasting the two, and a few other similar introductory things. Terms abounded, a few of which I had never heard of before. It took an incredibly long time to read this, somewhere on the order of 2.5-3 hours (my timing is off because I spent some time in the middle talking on the phone). It was also not well retained, because there was just too much information. But I'm sure I'm not expected to have mastered it by the first day.

I also had to read Goldberg v Kelly for civ pro, a significant case on procedures for terminating welfare payments, a case discussed during a mock class at the Berkeley admitted students weekend that I attended. I think it's an interesting case and I enjoyed reading both sides of it.

For Constitutional Law, I read some historical background material, followed by discussions of Marbury v Madison, extending to the origins and early analysis of the concept of judicial review. Also neat stuff. But again, reading 30 pages took me at least 2 hours. I hope this speeds up as I get more used to it.

For Torts I had 17 pages about the constitutionality of workers' compensation requirements; this was pretty neat and I probably read it all in 45 minutes. Don't worry, I'm not changing my aspirations to be a personal injury lawyer. It was a neat analysis, that's all.

I still have Contracts to do. I have three cases to read, Poughkeepsie v Poughkeepsie, Cotnam v Wisdom, and Hurley v Edd-something. Cases are far more interesting than the background material (I never did care for history), so I think I can do that tonight.

Classes start tomorrow, but the only one that meets is Civil Procedure. It will be a warmup day. Wednesday I have Contracts and Constitutional law, a rougher schedule; I also have activities at 4, 5:30, and 7:30. That'll be a busy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home