Wednesday, November 24, 2004

the latest installment in the series of "things that tick me off"

As if the government isn't in a sufficiently dire financial situation, the new spending bill includes creation of a position of "federal copyright enforcement czar", according to this article from Reuters (courtesy of Slashdot). I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it is not the government's business to enforce copyright. I don't think it's appropriate to have an employee of the government focused on such a private violation, and I don't think it's appropriate for the Department of Justice to be bringing suits against copyright violators.

I can't think of a solid, reasoned argument about it, though. If you can, let me know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best arguement I can conceive of changes the position a little bit to provide a government liason for copyright holders. Essentially this liason will be setup to help stifle new methods of copyright infringement before they can be put into wide circulation. The problem with this thought is it really doesn't matter. The largest technology of copyright violations (the photcopier) wasn't, as far as I can discover, ever funded by the US government.

My bigger question is, why would this position before for international copyright? What possible purpose could this hold for us?

Dan

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home